Eight weeks.

September has been a busy month for me. My classes have been keeping me busy with tests and essays, Football season is helping me procrastinate, ROTC has been keeping me busy with ROTC stuff, and the Ranger Challenge team has taken a ton of time out of my week. Feels about like last year except last year I had not made distance running a super important goal of mine. I ran enough to get by, not much really. I wasn't diligently logging miles, I had no big races coming up to keep me motivated, I hadn't joined AORTA (Auburn and Opelika Running and Track Association) yet (I don't think I had even heard of it only one month into college). I guess I figured being on the Ranger Challenge team was enough working out for me at the time (and, by the way, Ranger challenge is plenty of working out for most of the people on it. 2-a-days almost 5 days a week gets tiring). But I still ran a little extra on the side. An extra 4-6 miler here and there. I'm not really sure what compelled me to do that other than I felt like I needed to get back into distance shape for some reason. Once Ranger Challenge ended at the end of October, a friend of mine convinced me to sign up for the infamous Mountain Mist 50k happening the coming January. My excuse for me not to sign up? I didn't want to overdue it during this race in January so that I would be properly prepared for the Country Music Marathon. In April. What a terrible excuse. That January I found out how much more enjoyable 50k's were than marathons.
The point I'm trying to make to myself that I've come a very long way in just a year. I really want to log a bunch more miles than I am now but I know that putting in 50+ miles per week right now is almost impossible, especially with Ranger challenge keeping most of me sore most of the time. My first 50 mile race will be mid November and I was a little discouraged about it last week, having only logged 16 miles (but with a ton of cross training) and having only about 8 weeks left to train. Yesterday brightened me up. I rose at the crack of 0420 and began running at 0500. By 0830 I had put away 20.2 miles, averaging 7:48/mile, and felt no worse for ware. (47 miles for the week)
That evening I sorta checked my self over for muscle soreness, and that general wobbly feeling you get after a really long run. But the thing was, I didn't feel either of those sensations. I felt just fine for having done that distance. I haven't gone that far since that stage race in Chattanooga last June.
8 weeks. I got plenty of time.

Comments

Popular Posts