Snow Day

Some people build snowmen. Others enjoy hurling snowballs at each others faces, while still others prefer to enjoy the frozen precipitation from a distance with a warm, whipped cream-topped beverage. Me? I thought I'd try something a little, shall we say, outside the box.
The idea was proposed by John Nevels. When he called me up Friday morning and asked if I wanted to do something stupid, I was pretty much automatically going to say yes even before he told me his dastardly idea.
So what did we have in mind? Hmm, it had been snowing since 5am, there was a good bit of snow accumulated by now, a bunch of people were walking around campus and there was a good chance for a frigid wind chill. Of course! let's go on a run with the least amount of close on that the law will allow.
Myself in my fivefingers and John in his invo8's we set off for a loop around the campus to see what would ensue. Right away we got several honks and photos taken of us. Not 5 minutes into the run, we were in the view finder of someone's camcorder.
The cold wasn't as bad as I had thought it was going to be but rest assured, at least 4 of my toes were numb through out the run.
Students were hoopin and hollerin all about. When we came up behind a group of walkers unawares, there were in for a surprise when 2 reddish, fast-moving bodies came out of no where.
Occationally we would see some people leaning out of car windows with some fancy SLR cameras. I'm hopin The Plainsman people were out today.
We made our way back to College St and headed towards Samford Hall where there would undoubtedly be a large number of on lookers.
Like the vision of the T-rex, some snowball throwers were only able to spot targets that were on the run. How lucky their day just got. Fresh, moving targets just asking to be pelted with a snowball or four.
John got hit first right in the back of the head. My back got grazed a few times but we just kept on truckin. Once we made it through the gauntlet of snow fire, we were about ready to wrap it up. Crossing the street, our smile ridden selves made our way back to John's awaiting, heated apartment.

Comments

Popular Posts