Summer Training Begins

I've finally finished my exams and my sophomore year of college has come to a close. It's indeed strange that I am now half way through this college thing and that 2 years from now I will be a commissioned officer. I've been so busy it seems like I haven't noticed how much time has past. Now that I suddenly find myself with very little to do, back here in Huntsville, I can focus on other things, the least of these not being sleep.
And so my summer training begins. (There's really not much interesting in this post after this point.)
My main goal this summer is to build up miles for the Pinhoti race in November. I'm hoping to do this by having two training sessions a day, morning and evening, about 4 days a week. The other two days will be devoted to getting in one long run each day and of course a day for rest. I'm trying my best not to leave out cross training so at least 2 workout sessions a week will be devoted for that. Fortunately, I've found a weight room nearby that I can go to at no cost to me.
Between now and June 22, I will have ample time during the day to focus on training. I currently have no job (unfortunately) and not a whole lot else is going on. It's nice to have a little respite from some responsibility for once. From June 23 - July 16 I'll be at Ft. Benning for Jump School and don't anticipate a whole lot of opportunity for logging the kind of miles I want. Hopefully I'll just be able to at least sustain what I gained during my May and Early June training. It comes at a good time though, as the Chattanooga Mountains Stage Race is from the 18th-20th of June, this race marking the end of this ultra "season." (For me an ultra season starts from my first race in the fall, Dizzy Fifties in this case, and ends mid June. That's how it worked out last year since I got to take a trip to Korea in early July.)
So far, I've been on my summer training routine for 4 days and already I'm kinda feelin lonely; so today, after a morning 10 miler on some trails, I headed over to Bob Jones High School for the Harry Williams All-comers track meet. I signed up for the 1 mile and 5k events. I hate running these distances. I guess I just wanted to get in some speed work and hang out with some other runners for once. Anyway, I did get a PR in the mile, as this was the first timed mile I've done since probably my 2nd year of high school back in London: 5:15. I got a few age group placement ribbons for my performances. Needless to say, there was not much competition.
I think I might go up to Monte Sano for an easy 14 miler on the trails tomorrow, concluding this week with about 53 miles. Now, though, it is time for a much needed long nights rest.

Comments

Popular Posts