What have I done?

School has gotten underway and my fall training has gotten off to a decent start. I feel like classes just started up but I'm already in my third (or is it fourth?) week of my junior year. Lately I haven't been too terribly busy so I've had ample time to get in some pretty good runs. Even when I didn't have time, I made time to run, like at 11pm after Auburn's first football game of the year. AS I was pokin around the internets and thinkin about which races to sign up for this fall, I noticed something a few days ago that made me realize I had an important decision to make very soon. Registration for Pinhoti would go up $40 on labor day. A few months ago I knew I'd have to make up my mind sometime in September but I didn't realize it would be this soon. I hadn't gotten in loads of miles over the summer and I've recently recovered from a foot injury that put me out for nearly 2 weeks, so this wasn't exactly the optimal time for me to decide if I was ready for this. But really, I had already made this decision about a year ago at a track in Sylacauga at around 3:30 in the morning.
It's been a long time coming but I've finally committed to running the Pinhoti 100 mile race this November, or at least I've committed the money for the t-shirt.

As long as my body holds up, I'll get in the miles I need. I've also signed up for the Stump Jump 50k a month from now, so that'll be a good long run. I'm also probably going to register for a 50 miler in Pine Mtn, GA 3 weeks before Pinhoti. I'm setting weekly goals, academically and physically, and feel I'm doing a good job of sticking to them. Lord willing I won't get injured and can keep rackin up the milage before November 6th gets here sooner than I know it. I once went to hear Rudy Giuliani speak about leadership, among other things, and one thing that he said stuck with me: relentless preparation. He said a good rule of thumb is to spend 4 times as much time preparing for something than the task actually takes. So there's my goal: to run at least 400 miles over the next 2 months to get myself prepared for my first 100.

After a long labor day weekend of football, midnight runs, and some great relaxing with the family at the lake house, it's time to close the books on another cool, summer's eve and rest up for tomorrow's tasks.

Comments

Popular Posts