Power Outage

The cool temperature of the competition pool at Auburn's aquatic center gave my system the usual shock as I dived in to start my midweek workout with the tri team. Over the course of our first real group swim of the semester I found myself more easily hanging with the faster guyes, not finishing many seconds after them at the end of each set. I'd like to think this is because just maybe I'm getting better at this sort of thing, but maybe it was simply a matter of their baseless grumblings of, "Oh, I'm so out of shape," being close to the truth, thirty-something resting heart rates notwithstanding. Irregardless, I was feeling half decent about the shape I was in after our 3000m of swimming for the day had come to it's conclusion.

By 8:45pm I was on my merry way to my church's late night Wednesday worship service called "One." It really hasn't been since my high school days that I really looked forward to Wednesday night fellowship like this. It's only been in recent days that I've been going to the Church of the Highlands and only been since two weeks ago since I started going to One. It's too bad I didn't know about it sooner.

After an hour of praising my creator and hearin the good word, I arrive back at my apartment to make myself a late dinner of salad with an indulgent glass of wine or two. I've just recently taken a liking to the ancienct fermented grape drink and am starting to prefer it to beer for its greater benefit to health. Plus I've had these wine glasses sittin around that needed some love.

Just as I was chompin down on some blueberry-pomagranate vinagarette-covered romaine, my computer screen and the world around it go dark. At the same time my roommate was next door visiting with our newly aquainted neighbors. For times like these, what better to do than pour another glass of cab and visit with those folks I had yet to intorduce myself to. A half hour passed as the four of us chatted about the college life, all the while hoping a circuit somewhere would be completed so those illuminated light bulbs and LCD monitors that we take so much for granted would shrink our retinas once again. By the time our conversation ended and my wine glass emptied the power was still not back. We all decided it was simply time to call it a night.

With mere days before Mist, I needed to make sure my achellies was gonna be up to the task. Before I allowed myself some shuteye, I decided to ice and elevate the ol foot like I'd done many times before, playing with my iPad for a couple minutes before hoppin on into bed, enjoying the quiet darkness. The circuit suddenly completed. The switches in my room had been instinctively turned on earlier and now the current freely flowed as one of man's most vital sources of energy returned to our abode.

But for a moment, I wish it hadn't.

Comments

Popular Posts