Year of our Lord

The grey, winter rain fell along the length of 280 on what was probably my last trip to Auburn for a good while. It seemed like months ago that I was last in my apartment; between hanging out with my brother at the lake, spending a few weeks at my parent's place in Huntsville, and upholding time-honored Costner Christmas traditions, December was the exclamation point of a labored 2012.

On the way down here I reflected on all the ducks that must be put in rows between now and when I report to Ft Leonard Wood at the beginning of next month. The closer I got to Auburn, the longer the mental list grew, though I am really looking forward to three or four weeks of no school, job, or financial worries. Like the last couple of weeks I'll be spending a lot of time in the saddle and in the gym, getting the training year started off right. Hopefully I'll be motivated to get in some good reading as well.

Speaking of training, I'm once again taking a different approach to the journey toward an intangible finish line. While I was in Huntsville, I decided to finally visit the sports Doc to figure out once and for all why my achilles tendon has been bothering me over the last 2 years. As it turns out, I have a Haglund's Deformity, essentially a bone spur on the back of my calcaneous that has been irritating the tendon all this time. It's good and bad news for my running career. Regarless, I'm going to be taking a good while off from running to allow it to heal.
The deformity is that extra bit of bone on the dorsal part of my heel.

Thus, this year, I hope, will be one filled with bike races across the country. I really want to learn more about cycling and as my fitness continues to get better on the bike. I think I may even have a chance to be competitive at these things. I've also joined the Military Cycling Team, based out of Ft Carson, CO. They have a number of members at a bunch of different bases so I may have a team to ride with during my time in Missouri. And from what I've heard about that base, I won't have much else to do in the area. Thank goodness for my love of exploration. (What up, Ozarks?)

A month from now I will no longer live in Auburn for the first time in almost 5 years. One may assume that it will be a bittersweet departure, but one would be wrong. As good as Auburn's been to me, I am so ready to leave and start my life and develop myself as an officer, scholar, and man of God.

More updates to come. In the meantime, some 2012 stats!

Total time spent running and riding: 21 days, 22 hours
Total distance ridden: 7,020 miles
Total elevation gain on the bike: 450,000ft, or about 165 Burj Khalifa's
Number of flat tires:4
Gallons of coffee consumed: a whole bunch
Biggest single climb of the year: Mt Mitchel, 4,383ft





Comments

Popular Posts