Getting in Gear

The last time I posted, I mention that I had recently run the biggest 5k I'd ever done. Well I'm going to have to be a bit repetitious with this post, because I recently ran the biggest 5k I'd ever run. This time in Columbus, GA. There were some 1900 people there for the midnight start, not including spectators. The route was flat and lined with candles in boxes so the runners could see where they were going, but more on that later.
Before I left for Auburn, I purchased a book I'd been hearing about called Born to Run. I'd heard it was an interesting read but I never knew what kind of profound effect it would have on my running. In this book Christopher Mcdougall journeys into the most remote parts of Mexico to discover the secret behind the legendary Tarahumara runners, runners who were capable of running phenomenal distances over rugged terrain in nothing but thin sandals made of old tires and still never get hurt. Rarely do I come across a book that has me so entranced that I am compelled to read it during meals, on the bus, in between professors' breaths... This was one of the greatest books I've read in a very long time. Because of it, I have a new goal of eventually running in almost nothing but bare feet or vibram FiveFingers. (If you don't know what those are, google it.) Maybe I'll never achieve that goal but I believe it's possible if I'm dedicated to strengthening my feet the way they were meant to be, as in not shod in a "foot cast." So far I'm up to about 2 barefoot workouts per week and I can already tell the difference it's making in my stride. I've become more efficient and can feel myself getting faster.
Example: at Cullman last week, I ran my 5k PR in about 19:30. Two weeks and just two barefoot workouts later, I PR'd again at Columbus with time of 18:21 placing me 16th out of 1900, 7th in my age group of about 151. I could feel my stride had changed because of those workouts and I know it's made me faster. Now, sure, Columbus was a flatter course but still, I ran it coming off a week of Ranger Challenge practices and a long run that morning. I was more than pleased with myself by the time I crossed the finish line and enjoyed some free Country's sweet tea.
I'm not really sure when my next race will be. The next one on the calendar is Dizzy Fifties in November. Until then I've got a lot of Ranger Challenge practice ahead of me. Should be a good two months.


Christopher Mcdougall on the Daily Show

Comments

Popular Posts